05 July 2005

New York/Paris or Bust (in 2012)

It has been easier for me to write more about topics other than about what's happening home - home being the Philippines. But I know I'll eventually have to deal with what's happening here.

For now, let me indulge in another story abroad. In Singapore, the IOC is set to finalize its decision on who will host the XXX Olympics in 2012, from among Moscow, Madrid, London, Paris and New York.

3 out of the 5 candidate cities have hosted the Olympics: Moscow in 1980, London in 1908 and 1948 and Paris in 1900 and 1924.

The list was trimmed from last year's 9 contenders - Leipzig, Rio de Janeiro, Istanbul and Havana didn't make the final cut.

According to CNN.com, "geography would appear to favor a European city after the 2008 Summer Games in Asia -- Beijing -- and the 2010 Winter Games in North America -- Vancouver".

So for me, its Paris for 2012. This will give me time to save so I can watch the Olympics there.

But I'd like New York to win as host city. If and when it does get chosen, the 2012 NY Olympics will be held just a decade after the painful 9/11. By 2012, I hope that the new structures over the former Twin Towers will be up and running. It's the least that I can wish for my favorite city - the first mainland city in the U.S. that I ever got to visit way back in November 2001, 3 months after 9/11. (I hope to post my pictures of that visit soon.)

So for me, its New York or Paris in 2012. Or bust!!!

No comments: