07 July 2005

Middle of the week funk

For some strange reason, I'm experiencing the blues in the middle of the week. As I took a hurried break from my primetime desk work, I analyzed long and hard why this was so. But I had to snap out of it just as I began my analysis. The list of reasons giving me the blues was, well, growing horrifyingly longer by the minute and I wasn't liking it.

(I started to list down the reasons, mostly material woes but then it probably wouldn't be proper)... Welcome to the world of the overworked and underpaid. I haven't included my school woes yet. While my family and friends were supportive about my decision to take up graduate studies, some were saying I was plain stupid and suicidal to do it. After all, I was in the news industry which is notorious for its unpredictable work schedules. And now I've been missing deadlines and getting delayed in my readings and recitations in some of my subjects.

What's probably the saving grace in the program for me is that it's a revolutionary one as it is offered online, with a couple of weeks of on-campus classes next month. All I needed to do to keep up with school work is to get that elusive laptop or desktop.

But for now, they're beyond my budget what with my starvation wages. I have no luck yet with the damn lotto and I'm already thinking of leaving everything behind and work abroad as an ofw just to tide things over.

In the middle of this negative exercise, I suddenly realized that everything was getting hopeless. Wallowing in self-pity, that is. Ultimately, one tends to go deeper and deeper and deeper until one gets mired in nothing but negative thinking.

Luckily, I'm one of those who only needs a tiny spark of inspiration or hope to get out of the rut of negative thinking, self-pity and middle of the week blues.

This time, I got it from watching CNN when IOC President Jacques Rogge announced London as the winning candidate to host the XXX Olympics in 2012. Although I was rooting for New York first and Paris second (see my blog entry two or three days ago), I agree London was a good choice as well. I have been interested months before on who would win because I made a vow to see the 2012 games. You see, I'm pretty confident that 7 years from now, I would be at least be financially secured to be able to afford to see it (my earlier plans were to see the 2006 World Cup in Germany - too soon and the 2008 Beijing Olympics - too near, would've love to see and go to Europe instead).

Oh well. Soaking in all the foreign news about London as the site of the 2012 Olympiad distracted me enough to make me forget why I was in a middle of the week funk. Until I had to focus again on things I needed to assemble for the producer of our late newscast. And that got me back to reality.

From feeling the blues to getting elated, I now felt rage at what's happening to us and our country. I can't help but feel angry because while we struggle for survival in a world of nothing but rising prices and shrinking wallets, we are being governed and suckered up by a morally corrupt and intellectually dishonest President who does not think twice when she lies through her teeth while she protects her gambling lords of a First Gentleman and son-Congressman.

I was always taught to count my blessings because the Good Book teaches in Sunday School that God is a generous being. But I also believed that the God I love is a just God who will deliver us from all evil here on Earth and beyond, in His time and grace!

No comments: