02 October 2006

Win or lose

Congratulations are in order to UST for winning the 69th UAAP Basketball championships tonight. It has been 10 years since they've last won... The university will surely go all out in celebrating their hard-earned victory. I've yet to confirm whether the UST Tigresses also won the women's basketball crown; if it's true it could be a double celebration for UST, who is considered an athletic powerhouse in the country.

Two of my sisters were athletes here; C used to be with the athletis varsity team while M is now a reserve for the volleyball varsity. M is probably going home late tonight what with the university's celebrations.

Too bad for Ateneo though; this makes it the 2nd or 3rd time for it to be the bridesmaid, with an absent DLSU at that. At any rate, the Blue Eagles will have to console with celebrating the win of the Juniors basketball team last week.

I'm just happy that the UAAP is providing such good sportsmanship for students; the cloud over the cheating scandal last year is slowly being eased out like a bad memory or a disastrous oil slick.

My 2 year stint in college in UST before plus a semester of teaching at the Faculty of Arts and Letters for a semester in 2000 and my current 2 year MA studies in Ateneo make me a proud product of both universities. So win or lose, I still come out privileged for having been associated with either institution. In my book, both schools are winners in their own right.

(It's just too bad that the UAAP site is not updated for people like me who were not able to watch the game live or on TV. Although the site indeed looked very promising).

No comments: