30 June 2005

The Beginning of the End?

It was just too bad that the noble gestures of the union workers staging their noise barrage at the Ateneo gate 3 were not captured by network cameras and even by photographers. I saw no one documenting these brave folk when they sacrificed their lunch period just to ventilate their beliefs against that corrupt president by the Pasig River.

I hope to load the photo that I took of them with my handy Motorola V620 as soon as I get to solve the kinks in my cell-to-pc connection - they were truly a sight. I just finished my chat session in my elective Creative Writing and was rushing to the campus when I saw them across the street.

I felt goosebumps when I heard the dozens of cars honking their horns in solidarity with the union members' anti-PGMA protest.

As to why we were not able to cover this event, I can only surmise that there were logistical problems - with so many things happening today, our teams may have been spread out too thinly. (But I would know the answer when I report for work later).

It felt good though that the Ateneo community is making a stand, following on the heels of the other big universities in Metro Manila - UP, DLSU etc... But I heard from a lady activist whom I befriended yesterday at UP Diliman's Laban ng Masa assembly at the Bahay Alumni, that the Ateneo will just be releasing its official stand on the gloriagate scandal et al. soon.

Is the middle class now awake and ready to take the cudgels again for this long-suffering nation? Are the daily protests now a portent of things to come? Is this really it? Is this the beginning of the end? What do you think?...

No comments: